Search Pin Me Up Ashley

Kanye's debut at Paris Fashion Week: "A Love Letter To Fashion"


The collection turned out to be neither triumph nor train wreck.(WWD)  Shown in front of a small crowd with just two rows of benches Kanye debuted the most anticipated SS collection for Paris Fashion Week 2012. With a transformed Lycée Henri-IV secondary school into a Dw runway, taking to assumption as many others, that Dw is the name of the collection (possibly a tribute to his late mother Donda West) those in attendance included top execs from Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys New York, editors from the major fashion publications like Anna Wintour, and a handful of designers and celebs such as Altuzarra, Alexander Wang, Dean and Dan Caten, Oliver Theyskens, Jeremy Scott, the Olsen twins, Carine Roitfeld, Silvia Fendi, Jared Leto, Ciara, and Chanel Iman who flew in from New York to be in the show.

The rumors about who helped West with his collection can be put to rest, for now. It’s been concluded he looked to British designer Louise Goldin and to Central Saint Martins professor Louise Wilson for help and advice (respectively). Though those are all who were mentioned, I’m sure there’s more to the team.. however, I don’t believe it includes CSM fashion students. 

After the show Kanye shared I’ve had a lot of ideas, color palettes, a certain type of attitude I wanted to express. At the Celine show the next day, West described his design process as a team effort. Every designer works with a team, it’s just different for me because I’m a celebrity. I’ve learned so much even in one day.

A lot of people had their take on the collection, but I found it most interesting the amount of support and positive feedback received from designers and fellow celebs:

This is no J.Lo basics line... I adore him and I think that he is such a passionate and genuine artist in every sense of the word. -Jeremy Scott
Imogen described the show asA love letter to fashion.
I loved the pants, the color-blocking and the orange, I loved the fur accessories, I loved the black dresses... There was a lot of attitude. It was strong, sexy... I loved it. I kept seeing looks that made me think, 'Oh my God, I want that.' -Ciara

I personally don't think it was a bad a collection, especially being his first one. It could have been a little more cohesive and season appropriate, and I can't say I liked every piece...BUT I do believe it's a true reflection of Kanye, and what more can you ask for! Below are a selected few looks, judge for yourself!










Colors: Creme, blush, black, pale grey and teal blue.
Accessories: Fur stoles, Fur backpack, Strappy stiletto and Pearl-beaded sandals, "Yeezi" nameplate chain.
Who To Expect Seen In It:  Carine Roitfeld (who is placing a personal order) & Ciara (who already expressed just how much she loved it). 



Kanye kept it pretty professional with post show interviews, but at the after party the Kanye we all know and love came to surface:

Thank you for anybody that didn’t believe, because they motivated us to break our boundaries...We don’t know what the reviews will be, we don’t know what they will say, but I got a chance to go to Italy and feel those fabrics. I begged Louis Vuitton to let me do more shoes after my shoes sold out in two weeks, and they did not. I begged Nike, I begged this company to let me do it. And I took out motherf---ing loans to get the best models, to get the best designers, to get the best venue. I gave you everything that I had.
This is my first collection. Please be easy. Please give me a chance to grow. This is not some celebrity s---. I don’t f--- with celebrities. I f--- with the creatives in this room, the amazing people who spend every day of their life trying to make the world a more beautiful place.
The amount of people that tried to get me a celebrity f---ing deal. They said, ‘You need to do boot-cut jeans, or you won’t sell.’ Shut the f--- up ! Or Hedi Slimane in the motherf---ing Mercer, sitting with me, saying, ‘Stop giving them your ideas, Kanye. Do your own thing.’ Hedi Slimane! To feel so frustrated. And I thank anybody who came to this party, everybody who supported, everybody who believed, because people thought it was a joke, and maybe people still do, but I can only grow from this point.


I'm with Ye, but hey I'm a fan so what else can I say! Congrats to him on the collection, look forward to what he plans to bring our way next!



No comments:

Post a Comment